Saturday, November 17, 2012

A few of our Thanksgiving Traditions

So I thought I would share a few fun things we do that our kiddos love. Last Thanksgiving we decided that we wanted to start going up to a Cabin in Mammoth since Thanksgiving break is long. 
Something special and fun for our family.

So this will be our 2nd year of that tradition. 


But as far as traditions go... I came across this idea last year and we had SO much fun with it!

#1 The Turkey Legend:
It's from Craftysayings.com

So first you are going to need a large box! The goal is to catch your Turkey for Thanksgiving Dinner! (Of course us Moms always have a Back-up Plan just in case!)

Let the kids decorate the box the night before. Figure out what the best way we can catch a turkey.
Setting up the box just right, maybe adding some food inside? My kids thought the turkey would love Red Licorice because who doesn't love red licorice right?


It kind of was like Christmas morning... They could not wait to see if they caught a turkey! They ran over to the box and stopped in their steps...

They for sure thought there had to be a turkey in there!
Feathers...more feathers...


And a NOTE!
This is the one that we read ahead of time that talks about the "turkey legend"
Then on each candy was a note that said...
"You almost got me but I got out of your trap. I left goodies anyway and now I'm off in a flap!"

There are a few different choices you can print. So make sure you check out below to print off yours.

Another funny one says...
"I was going to leave you candy til' I got caught up in your coop, but I still left something dandy... lots of good old turkey poop!"
(either leaving chocolate covered raisins or whoppers)


Taylor still didn't want to look under the box... but big brother had to check it out! 


 Look what the turkey left!!!!


Fun Memory!

 CLICK HERE for your Turkey Legend Printout!

#2 Turkey Cinnamon Rolls:

Let the kids have fun with the "feathers"with different sprinkles and adding chocolate eyes.



#3 Keeping the Kids busy while you COOK:



One thing I've learned is to keep the kids busy so you don't burn the pies!

Busy Kids #1: Make Turkey Cups
Cut out some feathers, add some googly eyes with glue!


Busy Kids #2: Get your husband involved! 
Thanksgiving Trivia...

Here's Thanksgiving Conversation ideas from Skip to my lou.
Click HERE



Thanksgiving Tricia from Prettieparties


#4 The Thanksgiving Tablecloth:

This idea was given to me from a very special friend, Patti King. They do this at Easter. Each guests can write a special message. Or in this case what they are thankful for with a permanent marker. 


I absolutely LOVE the little hands.



So these are some of our favorite Traditions. I hope this inspires you to create some more special and fun traditions with your own families. 

Please share any pictures or ideas on our FB page! I would LOVE to see them!

https://www.facebook.com/DancingInTheKitchenFamily


No comments:

Post a Comment