Saturday, July 27, 2013

Freezer Time Savers: Garlic Bread and Peach Crisp


Life is BUSY! Kids, schedules, sports, the list goes on... So I am all about doing quick and easy prep that will help my life be a little bit easier.

So I'm going to share with you some of my favorite Quick and Easy Tips that I do to make life easier when it comes to dinner time.

First up... Garlic Bread!

 Did you know that the .99 cent Store off of Olive Drive (Next to Big Lots) carries Pyrenees Bread? Yep! So swing by, head to the very back of the store and pick up some loaves! If you have an outside freezer I would grab like 5 loaves. If you just have your traditional side freezer-fridge then maybe just grab 1 for now.  
This is also where I buy alot of my disposable containers for my other freezer meals! Many times I can get 3 disposable containers for $1.00! Stock up, trust me it makes life a little easier!

YOU WILL NEED: 
  • Freezer Bags
  • Foil
  • Butter
  • Favorite Seasoning (I usually just use Garlic Salt) 
  • I also like to add some Parmesan Cheese (totally optional- just use what you have)

Ok let's get started! It's pretty plain and simple and I'm sure you don't really need me to walk you through...but just in case...here you go.

  1.  Slice your bread in the portions that your family will eat. So for my little Family of 4 (2 small kids) I cut the loaves in thirds.


2.    Lather both sides in butter, seasoning & parmesan Cheese.

3. Wrap them in individually in foil and put as many foil wrapped loaves in a large ziplock baggie as you can and label. DONE!


Now when you need to throw together a quick dinner. Maybe some canned Soup (that you've been cooking over the stove ALL day)  ;) and a Salad just heat up your oven to about 350. Grab your loaf out of the freezer, still completely wrapped in foil. Put the foil wrapped loaf on the rack of the oven and let heat up for about 15-20 min. You can also at that time, peel the foil back so it makes a little foil bed for your bread and turn your broiler on high for about 3-4 min.

Delicious and Quick!

 Next up... a Quick and Super Easy Dessert!

Again, as I've mentioned before in this blog. If you are looking for elegant, all day recipes this probably isn't the place. I am a super busy Mom and Wife like you all and I don't need 5 star restaurants meals. I need quick meals that fill my family's tummies! 
So when I was picking up Pyrenees bread at the .99 cent Store (different than the dollar tree).  I saw that they had Betty Crocker Oatmeal Mix. So I grabbed the bag and looked on back ( Since I'm the only one who would eat oatmeal cookies I thought I better check out on the back to see if there are some other ideas that my family might like) 

And what do you know... Peach Crisp! PERRRRFECT! So I grabbed a couple of bags. 

Then picked up the pie tins- 3 for .99 cents.

I knew my next stop was going to be Smart & Final so I picked up one of their HUGE containers of sliced peaches for about $4.00 along with my other groceries and I was all set to assemble!


  1.  First off I drained my peaches of most of the liquid. I kept a little in there. 
  2. Dispersed them into as many pie pans as I could. 
  3. Then I followed the directions on the back of my Betty Crocker cookie mix bag. It was so simple- in a bowl I poured the cookie mix in. Cut in 1/2 Cup of cold butter.
  4. I did add a little bit of cinnamon and sugar to the top of my peaches and then topped it with the Oatmeal mix.
  5. Wrapped them in foil. And the best part these pie tins fit perfectly in my Freezer zip lock baggies! Label and I'm all set! Perfect dessert for unexpected guests. Or just when my family wants something sweet.
  6. When you are ready to eat. Take it out of the ziplock baggie. If you are prepared ahead of time you can let it sit overnight in your fridge to thaw. But if not. Then just put the Peach Crisp (Still wrapped in foil) in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 25-30 min. ( I always line a cookie sheet with foil so I don't have a mess in my oven- just in case I filled one too full) Then take the foil off. See how it's doing, and put it back in the oven uncovered until it's all bubbly and yummy.
The most important part...(in my book)... when you are dishing out the Peach Crisp- while it's hot add a big scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. 

It's cheap, easy, yummy and a perfect dessert to bring with a meal for someone who just got out of the hospital. Or maybe for that friend who just got off work after a long day. Send her a quick message and say "I'm bringing your family dinner and dessert tonight. Just because."

What a blessing that would be to someone!

Enjoy Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment